Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Running

Running has been big a part of my life for last 15 years. It has been my outlet, and my reset button. So, I am thankful 1/2 Marathon Training has begun! I managed to run 4 times this week. Mari Becker and I have a 1/2 marathon date set, May 15, Olympia Wa, Capital City 1/2 marathon. I am out of shape but it feels good to be training again.

I officially began training this last Friday by doing a run at Lincoln Park. I was about 1/2 way through my run feeling pumped up about training for the 1/2 so I decided to sprint up a very steep hill. I had my ipod on and felt invincible. I proceeded to attack the hill only to make it up the first flight of stairs. I stopped, wheezed a lot and started laughing, "Who do I think I am?". I also reminded myself that I have run only twice a month for the last 2 years and am in no condition to sprint up a huge hill. I regained my breath and managed to walk up the rest of the hill. Laughing most of the way.

This week, I feel I have regained the drug I have missed these last two years. I also have a new motto, "I run because I can". I know it sounds corny but because all I have learned from Luca and others, I am deeply thankful for my body, muscles, joints, health. Two years ago I took so much for granted. I also realize it might not be something I can always do. So today I am going to run, because I can!

4 comments:

  1. Let's see....May 15th. I'm not busy that day, maybe I'll just bop over and join you in the race....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, do you remember the little old man and lady that lived across the alley from us in Kandern? The man only had one leg. He used to be my reminder on days that I found it hard to start my run. I think "I run because I can" is a great slogan. Mom Walker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Katie! So glad you have this gift, and live somewhere runnable in winter.

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie
    Glad to hear that you are getting back into running...me too! I don't have a race goal yet, but it IS good to get back to running again. Both our older two are in Kindergarten now, so I can run with just little Katie in the jogging stroller again in the mornings, so that is great. Plus, we've had warmer weather this week, so I'm getting the "Track" bug...one more month until tryouts! I'm hoping to run/coach the distance runners two times a week...crazy fun!
    Anyway, its soooo neat to read up on how Luca is doing! We'll pray he is running soon!
    Love you,
    Michelle ;o)

    ReplyDelete