Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A poem I get

I read this poem that another mom who has a child with AMC wrote about her child and my eyes filled with tears. This is a poem I can connect with. She put into words what has often been in my thoughts and my heart. Her blog is also fantastic and encouraging as her son, Louie, is now 5 and is doing so well. http://mymoralesfamily.blogspot.com/

For Granted
By r. morales

Until the day you were born, many things I took for granted.

I assumed you would be able to wrap your arms around me for affection.
I assumed you would grab my finger with your tiny hands for strength.
I assumed you would bring your hands to your mouth for comfort.
I assumed you would touch me while I nursed you.
I assumed you would bring your hands to my face just to remind me you love me.
I assumed you’d lift your arms up when you wanted your mommy.
I assumed you would crawl around the house.
I assumed you would torment your big sisters by reaching up to yank on their hair.

Until the day you were born so many things for granted I did take.

When others stood so easily; You had to undergo surgery just to correct your tiny feet.
When others were learning to crawl; You had to learn to roll around the house without the use of your arms.
When others were standing on their own; You had to undergo constant therapy just to get your legs more functional.
When others were learning to grasp things with their hands; You had to figure out how do the same using only your feet and mouth.
When others were learning to walk; You had to undergo your second surgery just be able to bend one elbow.

But from the day of your birth, each seemingly effortless movement for granted I no longer took and as my heart breaks and heals over again I am blessed to see a miracle in you each day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Katie,
    I am so glad that you found this poem. What a comfort when one’s thoughts can be put into words and you find someone who feels what you are feeling. The part about her heart breaking and healing again (and again and again) made me ache for you. I remember when John showed us the sight about the guy with no arms and no legs. What he said about hugs really stuck with me. “When you cannot give hugs people don’t think about you needing hugs.” So true. I am blessed to know that you both shower Luc with hugs even though it hurts and there is no hug in return. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
    Love,
    Mom Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at a loss for words, and always have been.

    All I can say is: Congratulations to both you and John!

    It may sound funny, but I think that God is congratulating you for all that you have done, for all that you have so valiantly--(and maybe not so valiantly, but to the best of your ability with His grace)--gone through, and for loving Luca and each other through it all.

    And since you are not able to hear it yet, and even though its not at all what you thought you would be congratulated for a couple years ago, I'm sure He's already saying, "Well done, my good and faithful servants."

    And, oh, do I wish I could find a poem to share with you what I'm really trying to say. I love you both, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete